Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Advent/Christmas Books

After seeing Jessica's (@ Shower of Roses) favorite book link-up, I thought I'd share ours too.

Advent books (and/or Christmas books) are decidedly my favorite part of these holy days! I treasure the time our family has spent over the years sitting at the breakfast table or snuggling on the couch reading our special books together.

If I had to pick one, it would be...

Merry Christmas Stega Nona by Tomie dePaola

But I also love-

Jotham's Journey
Bartholomew's Passage 
Tabitha's Travels (we just started this one, but I think we will love it!)
Destination Bethlehem 

And...

The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry (I know it is coming, but I always cry anyway)

The picture book version of The Other Wise Man by Henry van Dyke is well loved at our home as well.

Which I guess means that it really is impossible to just choose one!

I have an amazon "Listmania" list that covers many more of our favorites.

Our advent reading 2010 post.

And our advent reading 2009 post.

Happy Reading!



12 comments:

Jessica Gordon said...

First of all I just want to say how much I love your shelving for your books! It looks so pretty and inviting!!

Thank you for joining the link-up! I've been wanting to order Jotham's Journey (and the others) for awhile now, and haven't done so yet. I think my older boys would really enjoy them. They both LOVED Destination Bethlehem and are currently re-reading it again.

I spotted "The Littlest Angel" on your book shelves, which brings back memories from my childhood. I loved that book when I was little. I am going to have to purchase that one sometime too!

Have a blessed Advent!

Hope said...

Great lists! I'm getting so many great ideas! (St. Francis and the Christmas Donkey--we don't have that one!)

fadfd said...

We just ordered Destination Bethlehem for some gifts and for our home. I've heard it was really good. We've been reading Jotham's Journey, it's one that my eldest enjoys to read.

Agree with Jessica. Your shelving looks great!

There are several books being added to our wish list this year...funny how that list seems to grow so ever long...LOL.

God bless!

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Your shelving is awesome! We don't have any of the Ytreeide books. We might have to explore those next year. Thanks for sharing!

Gardenia said...

I lovelove your shelves Laurie! We are reading Merry Christmas Strega Nona this year too -- our first time. And I've been looking at Destination Bethlehem and admiring it; perhaps I'll have to pick it up. Gift of the Magi is so wonderful, too. thanks for sharing your lovely list! Truly, Advent books are a favorite part of our Advent here too.

Tricia said...

See, I'm not the only one who loves your shelving! :0
Any chance I could hire your husband to make some shelving for me? My husband is not handy at all in that way. Let me know, I'm serious. I've got the wall picked out and everything. Destination Bethlehem is a favorite here, too!

Kelly said...

Great list! And I'm going to join the chorus of shelf admirers. Love them!

We read Destination Bethlehem last year and we're looking forward to reading it again this year.

Tiffany said...

We just started Jotham's journey, recommended by you last year...we are loving it! Thanks for sharing all of your great books, Laurie:)

Stina said...

Your shelves are amazing! It would bring me joy just walking in the room! Thanks for sharing!

Trish @ A House Upon The Rock said...

Love the shelves! And the book list is wonderful. I've written up our list as well for a future post, many of the same books.

Patty said...

Laura, the book display looks wonderful!!! Just makes one want to walk up, grab a book, and curl up with a cup of coffee!

noreen said...

Hi Laurie, I agree with everyone else that your book display is just gorgeous! We just got Jotham's Journey from the library and are looking forward to reading it. Have a Blessed Advent Season!