I am participating with a group of Catholic bloggers in an advent round up. Please visit these wonderful women whose blogs are linked at the end of this post- I know their contributions are going to be fantastic!
In her book The Year and Our Children, Mary Reed Newland writes:
“And folly though it seems in a world where all value is counted in material things, a child can never know the whole ecstasy of Christmas unless he knows its meaning; unless he takes its meaning into his own two hands and examines it closely and finds its mystery for himself. It must be made of his own experience and delight and love.”
Advent is the time when our children get to do this. To revel in the anticipation that the church calls us to.
As children in our Mother Church, we are called to participate in the anticipation of advent. We enter church as the liturgical season changes from ordinary time to advent and our senses are immediately greeted by the change of color, the smell of pine, the advent candles front and center, and the empty crèche set up to the side of the alter. Even when expected, it jolts us into the understanding that something is different… something is coming.
Our little domestic church can reflect that anticipation. As advent approaches, my children begin to see signs of the coming season in our home. Our box of advent books moves from the cabinet where it is stored to the living room for a go through. Our Jesse Tree ornaments are brought out to untangle. The advent wreath is set up on the shelf in the living room. Even when they are very little, children sense that same anticipation we do as we enter church that first Sunday of advent. Celebrating advent in our domestic church creates a joyful sense of expectancy!
To take a pause here- With the all the information on this beautiful season available just by typing in “advent” on the computer, I hope that someone new to celebrating the season would not become overwhelmed- or jump in and try to do everything. Advent has been a slow growing process in our home.
An advent wreath is a good beginning. This simple devotion with its rich symbolism pretty much embodies advent, and, honestly, children are just drawn to candlelight.
Each year, a devotion can be added. The Jesse Tree, special books, celebrating saints of the season, the O Antiphons (we just started these last year!)...
If you are like me and perhaps missed some of these wonderful
traditions/devotions, so can't wait to introduce them all to your children, I really do encourage "slow and steady" over "let's do them all"!
Another encouragement is "don't worry about doing it right". It can be a process. If you stumble through the advent devotions, that is okay. You did it! If your children have no clue what the advent wreath symbolizes or Jesse Tree ornaments mean, don't worry! They will. With repetition, the understanding will grow.

My most recent understanding of advent is that it is a season of preparation in a similar (not the same as) way to Lent. This is time when children (adults too!) can choose what gift(s) they will give baby Jesus. It is a great opportunity for children to give up desserts, do extra little chores around the house, watch less television, put away the electronic devices.... truly a time to prepare their hearts and to gift Jesus their little sacrifices. By creating a time with more quiet and less abundance, children are better able to really hear the Christmas message. It can be made tangible to children in many ways.
One year, for each special kindness or sacrifice made during advent, my boys had present shaped stickers to put next to baby Jesus on a poster they made. They all enjoyed watching the pile of "presents" grow. Other years, we made a little stocking for Jesus. The boys were younger then, so they came to me when they had a gift to "write down". Each gift was placed in the stocking, and the stocking was left under the tree for baby Jesus to take on Christmas Eve.
In the interest in keeping it real here, I share this bit about one evening in our home during advent from a post that I wrote a few years ago-
As one boy does a "quick draw" and spin pulling two long handled lighters out of his pretend holster, the other complains that he wants this to be his week to light the candle... only moments later loud whining ensues as the same boy remembers he does not want to light the candle this week, he wants to wait to light the pink candle. At this point, my 6-year-old is standing on his head on the couch.... we manage, with much effort and little reverence, to get through all of our little activities and short readings.
Yes, that is the reality sometimes. Following my husband's lead, I try to keep my calm face on and know that it will get better!
Our children thrive on the continuity- the rhythm- that is created by celebrating this season of the liturgical year. Each year the advent wreath is put up, the understanding becomes clearer. Yes, at first our children will parrot the information that we shared with them. As they get older, they are able to explain the meaning in their own words. It becomes their own- as do other devotions and traditions. So, while not each year is perfect, and some years, due to illness or other obstacles, advent devotions have been less consistent in our home, it is always worth the effort!
My favorite advent resources-
Advent and Christmas for the Christian Family by Teresa Zepeda and Laurie Navar Gill
The Year and Our Children by Mary Reed Newland
Tomie de Paola Christmas Unit Study
*My post on how we use this study
The perfect Jesse Tree starter kit by Illuminated Ink
For a great family read aloud-
Destination Bethlehem by Sharon Altman and Christine Winkelman
*What we thought of this book
Be sure and visit these wonderful ladies to read their advent posts:
I am going to follow Patty's (from Reasons for Chocolate) suggestion that we "grab a cup of tea and relax" while viewing the contributions to this project. I did a quick stop by each lady's blog and can't wait to settle in and spend some more time savoring each post... I knew they would be wonderful!
In her book The Year and Our Children, Mary Reed Newland writes:
“And folly though it seems in a world where all value is counted in material things, a child can never know the whole ecstasy of Christmas unless he knows its meaning; unless he takes its meaning into his own two hands and examines it closely and finds its mystery for himself. It must be made of his own experience and delight and love.”
Advent is the time when our children get to do this. To revel in the anticipation that the church calls us to.
As children in our Mother Church, we are called to participate in the anticipation of advent. We enter church as the liturgical season changes from ordinary time to advent and our senses are immediately greeted by the change of color, the smell of pine, the advent candles front and center, and the empty crèche set up to the side of the alter. Even when expected, it jolts us into the understanding that something is different… something is coming.
Our little domestic church can reflect that anticipation. As advent approaches, my children begin to see signs of the coming season in our home. Our box of advent books moves from the cabinet where it is stored to the living room for a go through. Our Jesse Tree ornaments are brought out to untangle. The advent wreath is set up on the shelf in the living room. Even when they are very little, children sense that same anticipation we do as we enter church that first Sunday of advent. Celebrating advent in our domestic church creates a joyful sense of expectancy!
To take a pause here- With the all the information on this beautiful season available just by typing in “advent” on the computer, I hope that someone new to celebrating the season would not become overwhelmed- or jump in and try to do everything. Advent has been a slow growing process in our home.
An advent wreath is a good beginning. This simple devotion with its rich symbolism pretty much embodies advent, and, honestly, children are just drawn to candlelight.
If you are like me and perhaps missed some of these wonderful
traditions/devotions, so can't wait to introduce them all to your children, I really do encourage "slow and steady" over "let's do them all"!
Another encouragement is "don't worry about doing it right". It can be a process. If you stumble through the advent devotions, that is okay. You did it! If your children have no clue what the advent wreath symbolizes or Jesse Tree ornaments mean, don't worry! They will. With repetition, the understanding will grow.
An example on not worrying about doing it "right"- Jesse Trees are not suppose to have greenery, but this is what we have on hand.
One year, for each special kindness or sacrifice made during advent, my boys had present shaped stickers to put next to baby Jesus on a poster they made. They all enjoyed watching the pile of "presents" grow. Other years, we made a little stocking for Jesus. The boys were younger then, so they came to me when they had a gift to "write down". Each gift was placed in the stocking, and the stocking was left under the tree for baby Jesus to take on Christmas Eve.
As one boy does a "quick draw" and spin pulling two long handled lighters out of his pretend holster, the other complains that he wants this to be his week to light the candle... only moments later loud whining ensues as the same boy remembers he does not want to light the candle this week, he wants to wait to light the pink candle. At this point, my 6-year-old is standing on his head on the couch.... we manage, with much effort and little reverence, to get through all of our little activities and short readings.
Yes, that is the reality sometimes. Following my husband's lead, I try to keep my calm face on and know that it will get better!
Our children thrive on the continuity- the rhythm- that is created by celebrating this season of the liturgical year. Each year the advent wreath is put up, the understanding becomes clearer. Yes, at first our children will parrot the information that we shared with them. As they get older, they are able to explain the meaning in their own words. It becomes their own- as do other devotions and traditions. So, while not each year is perfect, and some years, due to illness or other obstacles, advent devotions have been less consistent in our home, it is always worth the effort!
My favorite advent resources-
Advent and Christmas for the Christian Family by Teresa Zepeda and Laurie Navar Gill
The Year and Our Children by Mary Reed Newland
Tomie de Paola Christmas Unit Study
*My post on how we use this study
The perfect Jesse Tree starter kit by Illuminated Ink
For a great family read aloud-
Destination Bethlehem by Sharon Altman and Christine Winkelman
*What we thought of this book
Be sure and visit these wonderful ladies to read their advent posts:



10 comments:
Laurie, it's so true, we need to take it slow and steady. I pray I too can do that this Advent. We get so eager to show our children everything about this special liturgical season that we can fail to take it at an even pace. I so enjoy Mary Reed Newland's book, and will check out your other Advent recources. Thanks for sharing your Advent traditions. God bless your Advent.
I'm glad that you pointed out that most of us have been steadily adding/tweaking our Advent throughout the years. It would be very overwhelming to jump in and do all of this at once!
This is a fabulous post filled with lots of great resources. I'm so glad you joined in on our project! Oh, and Country Angels is one of our favorites and I love the idea of making those stars. They turned out beautiful.
I am having so much fun touring around! Love your post and I shared your same sentiments about not having our Advent traditions happen over night. It has definitely been a journey in itself. Love your little story about the boys and lighting the candles...Oh yes, we've all had those situations;) Your book collection is magnificent! Thank you for sharing the links, some I have heard of and some I haven't. I always enjoy learning and exploring new things. Peace and JOY to you and your family this Advent!
Hi Laurie!
It's been a blessing to join in on these Advent posts with you and the other wonderful ladies! I love your Advent insights. Your line about not being overwhelmed with all the ideas is profound and so true! It's all a process and a journey just like our spiritual lives!
Your story about your boys and the candles must have been written when you were watching our children during nightly devotions :)
Thank you for all the links and I'm so glad I have your post and the other bloggers posts to refer to year after year.
God bless,
Tracy :)
Laurie, I enjoyed your opening paragraphs and thoughts. I share the same philosophy as you. There are years that we change things up a bit, add or detract, all with the purpose of keeping the meaning.
Had to chuckle at your post excerpt that you wrote some years ago. It truly sounded like one out of a book! I remember those days when my oldest was only in pre-school. Loved hearing about it from another mom :)
In Christmas Mosaic, Cay Gibson mentions Elizabeth Foss's Christmas unit study on Tomie de Paola's books. I may need to do that one next year. (Changing things up :)
May you and your family have a blessed and peace-filled Advent season! God bless!
Hello. It's my first time here, thanks to Patty's recommendation! I am learning so much from these Advent posts, and I already have a bundle of idea pages for my husband to print this week. Yay!
This is off topic, but I saw the photo of the bookshelves holding your seasonal titles, and I have been searching for similar shelves for a while now. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find them???
Thank you for taking the time to inspire.
Kerry
Kerry, I hope you check back- I don't have any way to message you. :) Those shelves are just rain gutters. My husband purchased them at the hardware store. Thanks for stopping by! ~Laurie
Sooo very nifty! I might just have to head to a hardware store this week to check them out.
Kerry
Hi Laurie!! I had to come to your blog as well! I found this idea at Gardenia's blog. I really like this approach. It helps to plan the whole season. And your pictures, are beautiful! you are good at that! I want to invite you to my link Up party for Advent here: http://familiacatolica-org.blogspot.com/2011/11/fiesta-de-enlaces-para-adviento.html
Happy Advent!!
Such wonderful ideas! And like Jen, I'm glad you stated that most of us add a new tradition or two (or take a few away!) each year--- I hope it helps new families to not feel overwhelmed by it all! Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment