Friday, December 9, 2011

Advent Week 2

We light the third candle for advent tonight! As cliche as it sounds, I cannot believe how fast this season is flying by. I want savor each moment and make it special, but the days seem to demand so much activity. In spite of that, we are having a wonderful advent. Tabitha's Travels is being enjoyed by all as are the rest of our advent devotions.

On to this week: 

We began Monday planning on purchasing a cassock for James (our church is short on ones his size) and visiting a spectacular nativity exhibit just north from us. Plans were quickly derailed as I told my daughter we would babysit for her 2 year old while she took her newborn to his doctor appointment. As it happens, my sister's baby also had an appointment (at the same Dr. down the street from our house) so we watched her children as well. It was a happy morning of playing with cousins and entertaining little ones! But the nativity display was on hold... however, we did manage to purchase a cassock.




Tuesday, the feast on St. Nicholas, was our horse lessons that had been bumped from Monday. When we finished there, we were planning on trying again for the nativity exhibit (that ended Weds.). In my exhaustion, I suggested that we pick up Breakfast Jacks and head home instead. To which James replied, "I was really counting on going there this year."

I quickly decided that is was a feast day after all, and we not only went to the nativity display (350 + displays from all over the world), but to lunch at In and Out Burger first. We don't have one very near us, so this is a very special treat.

(one of our nativities)
AND just to be really frivolous, we made another stop on the way home! 


 This is an even rarer treat (James only remembers going one other time) as the only one I know of is near where the nativity exhibit is held. 



They bit the heads off! 

Wednesday was art lesson and family time. I do love stay at home days! 

Thursday- what a beautiful feast day. I was happy we (hubby, boys and I) started the day the same mass. Often we have to go separately to accommodate schedules. An added bonus, all four of our grandchildren were there too! It was a special morning. And, as if we did not have enough feasting this week, hubby took us (boys and me) out to breakfast!

table from 2010
In what seems very fitting for this feast day, our homeschool teens had their annual shopping trip to provide gifts and food cards for local families who are in need. I was a bystander (not organizer this year), but Paul, who is officially a teen, helped with the shopping. As always, I was amazed and impressed and how sincerely the teens approach this task. Each child on their list was provided with at least one (if not more) toy and some warm clothes. The budget is tight, but those kids can stretch a dollar! 

We had our usual Spanish class on Friday. More than learning Spanish (as nice as that is), the kids really enjoyed some time just hanging out and playing together.






3 comments:

Patty said...

LOVE the pic with grandsons and son!! How precious :)

You had a good week even though it was busy. You made the effort to make the best out of those feast days.

I admire that beautiful nativity set. I don't remember seeing a pic if it last year.

Have a blessed third week af Advent...and yes! it is flying :)

noreen said...

What a great week Laurie! Busy but filled with family!

Tiffany said...

What a good Grandma and Mama you are! Your whole week was spent serving others and still honoring Advent in special ways! Let me know when you find a way to slow things down... Whew, I can barely keep up! The words of Our Lady " Do not be anxious, " are perfect aren't they? Happy Feast Day!