Click here to see how our plans looked last year (2011).
We started doing these Lent fortunes a few years ago- my boys love them. (because I linked it to Catholic Icing, this is my most viewed post ever on this quiet little blog )
Put together when my boys were younger, we used these rather less than brilliant (yet still effective) Stations of the Cross. I anticipate being able to get to church to do the stations more often now that I have big boys!
My boys might be getting too old for this Stations of the Cross game, but I will pull it out anyway. Another post showing that my boys really did enjoy playing the game.
Our Lenten plans from 2010 are here.
This year we have a devotional to read together as a family:
Characters of the Passion: Lessons on Faith and Trust by Fulton J. Sheen
I was able to browse through the books at the local Catholic store and this one caught my eye. I am not sure how much my 8yo will understand, but we can reread it when he is older.
This passage is what first got my attention:
"Neglect of Prayer: No soul ever fell away from God without giving up prayer. Prayer is that which establishes contact with the Divine Power and opens the invisible resources of heaven. However dark the way, when we pray, temptation can never master us. The first step downward in the average soul is the giving up of the practice pf prayer, the breaking of the circuit with divinity, and the proclamation of one's own self-sufficiency."
The book has 7 chapters:
Peter: A Lesson on Falling and Rising (the above paragraph is from this chapter)
Judas: The Lesson on Self-Pity
Pilate: A Lesson on Political Power (can't wait for this one!)
Herod: A Lesson on Self-Love
Claudia and Herodias: A Lesson on Opposites
Barabbas and the Thieves: A Lesson on True Freedom
The Scars of Christ: A Lesson on Enduring Faith
The boys and I are reading Slaying Dragons right now- it is a good Lent preparation read!
When we are done learning how to slay dragons, we will begin:
A Life of Our Lord for Children by Marigold Hunt
Here is where the pondering comes in- much like during advent, I realize that we are no longer a family of littles. We can stretch ourselves a bit. I need to look around for some ideas. I picture doing something outside the home- some good old fashioned works of mercy! I know if we ask God, He will send some opportunities our way. And usually far better ones than I could ever think of.
And, I am going to participate with Gardenia in her Lenten Project- "Shake off the Bonds of Stuff". I love this idea.
I'll try let you know where this pondering leads.
2 comments:
Laurie, These plans sound wonderful -- thanks for sharing your prior years' plans and activities; it's so helpful in deciding what to do at our home. I like the Lent Fortunes (and the way you rolled them into little twirlies.) thanks for lilnking to me on the shaking off the bonds. Blessed Lent.
Love your ponderings... Good stuff, indeed! I don't know what my problem is but I'm lagging behind. As you said... Wasn't the Presentation just yesterday?
Post a Comment