Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lent

Yes, it is here. I admit that, unlike previous years, we went to mass on Ash Wednesday not really knowing what our Lent would look like. We sat down and had a family meeting this morning, and this is what we have so far:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparing Our Hearts:

We are continuing our Lent Fortunes this year. This is a favorite of James' (7yo). He often sees the jar on the shelf during the year and asks if we can do them. He was happy this morning to finally get to pull the jar out of the cupboard.


Holy Heroes Lenten Adventures. We did begin this on Monday when the first video was sent. I am very impressed with the information that is shared. Even though it is presented by children and really directed to a younger audience, I think the information is very thorough. When the video is over, we discuss what we heard. I also printed the crosswords and word searches that are offered to go with the days.

Jesus Tree. Readings and coloring pages from Shower of Roses. I would love to make the Jesus Tree banner that is the center of this activity, but this year we will just read the bible passages and color the pictures that are linked. I hope to order the banner to make for next year.


Grapevine Wreath (crown of thorns). This link is for Waltzing Matilda. I love the way her "crown" looks with the dyed thorns/toothpicks.  I also saw one that replaced the thorns with roses for Easter morning, so I think we will do that as well. The explanation given on the Waltzing Matilda blog (near the end of the post) of why we sacrifice to pull the thorns makes this practice very understandable for children.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prayer/Fasting/Almsgiving

We Are Giving Up (fasting from):

Dessert/Treats- Some say that this is just silly- Lent is so much more than "giving up candy". While I agree that it is so much more, that the daily reminder when a child thinks "oh, a treat sounds nice" and has to check himself because it is Lent is a good thing.  It is also a good introduction to fasting for younger children. Some families don't allow treats on a regular basis, so this would not be as effective.

PG13 Movies- Having children as young as my boys are, this is not often an issue. However, as they are getting older, they hear more about certain movies and feel pulled to wanting to see them. Sometimes we will deem a movie of that rating appropriate when it does not touch on certain subjects. I keep feeling compelled to further explain this one but rather than do that, I will just say that I felt prompted to put this option before the family. I expected some resistance, but all seemed heartily in favor of the effort.

Almsgiving:

Spare Change- This just fell in our lap. Baby bottles to fill with change and turn back in to the Knights of Columbus to help purchase ultrasound machines for prolife clinics were given out at church last weekend. My boys are so charged up about this, it makes it the obvious focus for them.

Prayer:

Rosary- daily

Stations of the Cross- once a week

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Each family member decided on their own private Lenten practices with the option to share with me for accountability or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last years "What Do We Do?" post on Lent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For our family, Lent is a fairly new concept (not one my husband or I grew up with). While we returned (after a brief detour) to the church in 1990, we did not "celebrate" our first Lent until a few years later when we found a support group of Catholic moms. As with anything new, it has taken years to develop a deeper understanding of this wonderful time of preparation. I am excited to be able to share it with my boys and am thankful for all the wonderful ladies I have met, in real life and in the blog world, who share their ideas.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Hi Lori~Wishing you a very blessed Lenten Journey! What great plans you have going for your domestic church;-)