Monday, February 21, 2011

Chats With God's Little Ones


I really do love this book purchased to use with my now 17yo daughter when she was just a preschooler. It offers a sweet and gentle way to present to present our Catholic faith to little ones. The few of the 24 chapters are: Basic Prayers, God Makes All Things, The Life of Our Lord, How God Made All Things, How God Made Me, and Why God Made Us. There are also simple art projects included.

My favorite part of the book is the basic prayers section. The author gives a script to talk to children, line by line, about the meaning of the prayers that they are learning. I have a vivid memory of a priest coming in to my first communion preparation class room and explaining the "Our Father" to us in a similar way- it was the first time that I actually thought about the meaning of the prayer that I was saying. Often, when using this book, I will ask my child a question (as directed), my child will answer, and when I look back at the book it will say "many children will say this ____ (exactly what my child said)". The book then instructs how to gently turn the child toward the "correct" answer in an encouraging way.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Neat! I've never seen this book. Sound like one to add to my "list":-) Thanks for sharing it!

Gardenia said...

this sounds like a beautiful book, and one I could use right now. I'm checking it out now. thanks Lori.