Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advent::Day 1

We live in a teeny tiny house (by today's standards). And, it was quite a fixer upper.

For years, in little bits of spare time, our family worked to shore up the building (it literally leaked!), scrape the paint, level the yards, pave the driveway- It took more than 10 years to complete the task.

In the meantime, it led to some humbling situations when we had people over. Too many people, too much stuff, construction constantly going on around us...


Somewhere along the way, I started offering this little prayer up when I knew someone was coming over- or, worse yet, stopped by for a surprise visit.

"God, let my house bless this person in some way." 

My thought was it might, at the very least, allow them to give themselves a nice pat on the back that at least their house wasn't THAT BAD!! (I have a cool story about this that I'll share another time)

Well, this blog is not my home, but I pray the same for the little things I share. I, of course, would prefer to share some grand accomplishment with you.

But this is what I have:

In this time of preparation, I thought I could wing it for our first day of advent.  I brought out the box that I knew had the extra advent candles that I knew I purchased-  they are no where to be seen. We have not gotten out to pick up some greenery for our wreath either.

So, while dad did the blessing, our little candle-less wreath sat on the table with a ring of plastic greenery around it.

Our Jesse Tree devotional book has gone AWOL.

Plus!!- James came down with a fever/possible sinus infection today and Mark did not feel well, so neither boy served at mass this morning.

Can I have a redo? 

I don't share this to be a discouragement.

I know that happy scenes of advent would bless you as they do me, but I hope knowing that not every year begins that way (and some years begin that way, yet get derailed) might bless someone out there.

The point is to just do your best (with God's grace) each day.


Advent past... with candles and all!! It will happen. 

I hope to come back and share what is going to be an amazing advent "recovery"! :)

2 comments:

Gardenia said...

I'll be back for the recovery, for sure. I often need a redo of my days. thank goodness there's a tomorrow to start anew !

noreen said...

Hi Laurie, even with the best intentions, things happen that are not under our control. Doesn't take away from the intention, we just need to start fresh the next day. I thin we've all experienced days like you!

I like your prayer when people come over. I think I'm going to have to start doing that too. Advent blessings to you!