Monday, September 15, 2008

Favorite Resources for Celebrating Our Catholic Faith

The big change that I want to make as this school year starts is to live the church year and feast days more fully. To accomplish this, I searched the internet, looked through our books, and tried to come up with something that I felt was doable. Both of the following resources came to my attention at the same time and fit the bill (keeping it super simple!) perfectly.

This first resource is a little book from Seton Press. My friend was telling me about her son's art book with lessons that follow the major holy days, feast days, or seasons for the liturgical year. I couldn't wait to see it. After looking at her copy of Art 1 for Young Catholics, I was sold. Even though this is a first grade book, any child would enjoy the projects. And, in keeping with the super simple theme, there is not a lot prep work or unusual supplies involved.

Building the Family Cookbook by the creator of the famed Light Weigh program is the next resource that I am looking forward to using. It is just perfect- the book follows the calendar year and provides several saint or feast day celebrations for each month. There is page of so of a explanation followed by at least one (sometimes more) very doable recipe to prepare in honor of that particular day. I have enjoyed the saints' stories so much that I have been reading them myself at night. The author has a wonderful gift for storytelling.

No comments: