Friday, December 3, 2010

I Have a Confession to Make

At this time of year, I find my email box full of messages (forwarded articles) railing against the commercialism of Christmas- too much "ho-ho-ho" and not enough "Silent Night". They tell me that kids are losing the meaning of Christmas. That they are turning in to greedy little brats (okay, so not those words exactly)    
                                                                                                                                                              
I have to confess- I love Christmas time. I love going to stores (well, I don't love going to stores, but if I have to) and food places seeing pictures of St. Nick, garlands strung with greenery and lights, and hearing the sound of "Sleigh Bells Ring"- so much better than the usual inappropriate advertising and loud annoying music. Most places even have -gasp!- religious songs. O, Holy Night is played! And, I love that when a cashier wishes me a "happy holiday" she is really saying "happy holy day!".



But, that is not the worst of what I have to confess: I love to buy my kids presents. There, I said it. I enjoy finding that gift that will delight them on Christmas morning. We do not have the money to completely indulge our children (even less so in the past), but that makes it even more fun---finding that "just right" thing that will make their day without breaking the bank! Perhaps it is buying in to the whole commercialism aspect of Christmas. I don't think so. I am giving to my children. And, I believe, that it is okay to love doing so. There have been years when there was nothing to give- and, that was okay too. Our Christmases have always been happy despite the circumstances. Times with less just allowed for different blessings.


We spend all of advent learning about reason for the season, lighting our advent wreath, saying our special prayers, taking extra time with the "advent saints", decorating our Jesse Tree, trying to do little works of mercy fitting the season, and reading many, many books encouraging the "meaning of the season". I don't believe that one little pile of presents can undo all of that.


I don't ask anyone to agree with me- I just thought I throw this out there. When the merry making starts next year, I choose to enjoy it AND do my best to keep Christmas well.

2 comments:

Gardenia said...

when we understand the true meaning of Christmas and keep that in the forefront, always present, we can indulge a little in those commercial aspects. I agree with your post!!

Patty said...

Cheers!