One of the things that happened this Lent was facing the loss of my unborn (aborted) niece or nephew that I mentioned in an earlier post. This was the first time that I have talked about it except to a very few close friends. Getting it out here was sort of a warm up for me. I have since been able to bring it up in other settings.
Going to the abortion clinic to pray has been an experience. I have renewed awe for those who do this regularly. I know that there are those fighting on the front lines day in and day out, rain or shine. I saw them there each time we went to pray, and I know they will continue to be there after the 40 Days for Life campaign ends. I confess that I will not. I don't see this being where we are called right now, but I know that we will be doing something. I don't know how our prayers may or may not change those who enter the clinic, but they changed me (us).
One of the most interesting encounters we had was with a very angry young man. He walked through our little group and I could see the growing animosity on his face. He stopped in a driveway off to the side and called someone on the phone- perhaps the police as they passed two or three times after his phone call. He seemed agitated and angry and kept looking at our group. He decided to walk back by. He spat on the ground, let go of a few choice expletives, and walked right up to my son and another teen boy and heatedly asked what they were doing there and why they were not in school. Included in his" inquiry" was the "F" word among others.
This incident has been revisited a few times around here. My 11yo continues to include the "angry man at the clinic" in our morning prayers. I actually think about him often- it is so hard to understand the depth of anger that he showed. I can only imagine how he must be hurting. We were blessed with the opportunity through this short encounter to be "persecuted for Him". It has brought to life how Jesus must have felt to stand there in the face of that mob of angry people! This was a very small droplet in a vast ocean compared to that, but is been a wonderful illustration for my boys to hold on to.
On the calmer side of things, we joined a group of homeschool children and their moms to pray the stations of the cross at a local church last Friday. At first the children were shy to take a turn reading the stations, but as soon as one child stepped up, the rest were ready to go! It is so nice to pray the stations this way with all the little ones able to roll around at our feet and not have to be very quiet. Very children friendly!
I found this table runner at a local craft boutique. I love it.
And purchased this little cross set. (linked on Tiffany's blog)
My granddaughter sweetly picked these little purple flowers for my birthday. It is the perfect Lent decoration. Beautiful and simple.
Our Lent "fortunes" sitting out.
I found a pretty purple ribbon to hang our banner with.
The boys colored some cross ornaments last year (or the year before) that we just hung up this week. .
There you go- I did say hodgepodge, right? On to Holy Week! Blessings to all! I will see you after Easter.
.jpg)
.jpg)






2 comments:
Oh Laurie, this was such a beautiful and heartfelt hodge podge... Your flowing thoughts touched me. Thank you for mentioning the Lenten decor. I'm so glad it helped! Holy week blessings to you and family:)
First, I agree that we are all called to fight the good fight when it comes to ending abortion and that there is a way for each of us personally to do so. My FIL marched ALL the time in Rockford, IL. My MIL couldn't. It was too disturbing emotionally for her to know what was happening behind those doors. But she prayed her rosary fervently at home. Her prayers also helped. The clinic shut its doors just a few months ago! Praise God.
And your decorations look just lovely, Laurie. I love that table runner!
Post a Comment