Monday, November 2, 2009

Parade of Saints

November beginning with All Saint's Day inspired us to begin a serious saint overview this month. Stealing (well, borrowing might be a nicer way to put it) a few ideas from other blogs and people we know, we began today.

We are using this idea from Under Her Starry Mantle to make a "parade of saints". We are using these coloring pages from the Waltzing Matilda blog- scroll down and you will see the complete list of available pages on the right.

My friend, Tamara, is also doing a saint project. She is letting each of her children choose a saint trading card each day, reading the information on the back of each card and then delving in to one of the saints a bit deeper. The children can then report (share :)) to dad that evening what they have learned.

 
As a take of on that, I read about one of the saints while my boys colored saints pictures today (they have a longer attention span for coloring if I read to them). I read about Father Damien of Molokai from one of the Stories of the Saints books offered at Catholic Heritage Curricula. The boys actually had a great time sharing with dad this evening- even James (6yo) remembered much of the story and was excited to share. He was also my most enthusiastic artist-- coloring both Fr. Damien and St. Bruno!





These are our saints for today. I know that realistically we won't be able to do this every day this month, but I am hoping for 2 or 3 times a week.

If you don't have a saints book on hand or information about the saint you are looking for, you can look for a saint by name and listen to a nice story at Franciscan Radio . My boys enjoy listening to these short stories.

***Paperdali blog is also a great resource that I just discovered for coloring pages and more!!

No comments: