Oh that I was one of those people that had Christmas shopping complete before the beginning of advent! My daughter is. Sadly, she did not learn it from me. I picture how much more relaxed this season would be if only...
But here I am.
Years ago, when my adult daughters were children, we had a 3 gift rule (+stockings). I figured it was good enough for the wise man to bring to baby Jesus, it should be good enough for them.
It also left flexibility. When we could afford it, the gifts could be a bit more expensive. During lean years, the girl's sights were already set on 3 gifts. Less expensive gifts don't look like less to a child.
Which leads us to today. I read this gift giving formula on a homeschool board:

But here I am.
Years ago, when my adult daughters were children, we had a 3 gift rule (+stockings). I figured it was good enough for the wise man to bring to baby Jesus, it should be good enough for them.
It also left flexibility. When we could afford it, the gifts could be a bit more expensive. During lean years, the girl's sights were already set on 3 gifts. Less expensive gifts don't look like less to a child.
Which leads us to today. I read this gift giving formula on a homeschool board:
Something they want
Something they need
Something to play with and
Something to read.
I liked it, so that it was we have gone with the last several years. This is how I break it down-
Want -This can be anything. Watches might be it this year for the younger two. My oldest son wants art supplies.
Need - Often a clothing item.
Play with - For my boys, Legos usually top the list. This year maybe Transformer toys.
Read - I go with audio books. My boys love to listen to these at night.
We love games in our house, so, along with some fun seasonal candies, stockings often have games in them.
Some of our favorites of Christmases past are:
Some of our favorites of Christmases past are:

A dear friend of ours created this game!
The above are all Gamewright games- no gain for me, we just really enjoy their games. I also like the convenience of card games. We can easily take them with us on the road.
The game SET is a favorite around here too- the picture link seems to broken, but you can view it here:

This is one that was being reviewed by many bloggers last year- we purchased it and love it!
I also love including gifts that encourage our faith for my children and Godchildren.
From Catholic Child Catalog, I am purchasing these gifts this year:
From Catholic Child Catalog, I am purchasing these gifts this year:

For my youngest Goddaughter who is an amazing baker.

For my grandson, Nicolas.

For my nephews.

For my Goddaughter who is away at college.
Just thought I'd take a break from online shopping
and share!





2 comments:
Great ideas you shared here, Laura!! I haven't heard of so many of these games unless you put them up on your homeschool blog in the past.
We usually have three gifts from Santa and one gift from Mom and Dad. What they receive depends on what they need. Sometimes need falls into a fun category...like a new bike. Last year, three of the kids needed new bikes so that was a big gift from Santa. (The other two Santa gifts were tiny because bike was such a big gift.)
Mine have their shoes ready to go for tonight. St. Nick usually brings some candy for the shoe and books/movies all Christmas related.
I love to hear/read what others do. Always fun to pick up new tips. Thanks for sharing your ideas!!
these are wonderful ideas. I never know what games to get! there are so many choices and I think ugh, how can I decide which will be good. thanks for these suggestions.
Post a Comment